Tier 2 Senior Technical Support Engineer
At Spearhead Systems we believe in the delivery of professional IT services that help companies focus on their core business and not technology. We are excited to the bone about the delivery of IT services that help people and companies get things done.
Spearhead Systems is at the forefront of IT service delivery and digital transformation as a trusted technology partner in the evolving world of cloud and digital platforms. We are the engineers, developers and operators of spearhead.cloud, a specialised high performance cloud and specialists in IT infrastructure & application monitoring and observability.
The Senior Technical Support Engineers in Tier 2 handle complex support issues that require more in-depth knowledge or a deeper technical understanding of the subject matter. Tier 2 Engineers have comprehensive experience and know-how in administering systems and multi-tier applications including all the finer workings of a large system such as networking, security, automation and devops, containers, container orchestrators, scripting and programming.
Tier 2 is also generally responsible for new services and products that we develop, design, integrate and implement alongside Tier 3 Architects.
- Taking ownership of customer requests
- Creating scripts/plays/runbooks for automation purposes, migrations and repetitive tasks, incident response and more
- Monitoring systems, applications and reacting to events;
- Design, operate and troubleshoot modern web architectures (web, caching, databases, microservices, distributed systems, cloud)
- Knowledge in reading, interpreting documentation and operating manuals for complex IT systems (Joyent Triton, Kubernetes, Nomad/Consul, OpenShift)
- Manage IT infrastructures (clouds, hybrid architectures) and deliver complete IaaS solutions for our customers
- Work on virtualization technologies such as KVM, Red Hat Virtualization, Vmware and Triton, bhyve
- Analysis and troubleshooting (root cause, USE / RED methods and more)
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Math, a related discipline, or equivalent work experience
- Past experience (3-5 years) as a systems administrator, network engineer, cloud engineer or similar technical position/role
- Extensive experience in administering Linux (Redhat, Centos, Debian/Ubuntu -install, setup, configuration, lifecycle management: updates/patching, backup/dr, etc.)
- General experience in managing Windows systems (install, setup, configuration, lifecycle management: updates/patching, backup/dr, etc.)
- Experience in scripting (Bash, Python) and being comfortable in reading scripts and understanding them
- Extensive experience in web-based services and applications: Apache/Nginx, PHP/FPM
- Detailed knowledge of networking protocols and troubleshooting: DNS, HTTP, SSL, TCP
- Monitoring experience for application performance, uptime and fault management (Checkmk, Nagios)
- Experience operating and troubleshooting email services and SMTP
- Experience working with ticketing systems: deals with escalated tickets and documents the resolution that successfully solved the customer issue
- Advanced English skills (reading, writing and speaking)
Nice to have
- Experience with DevOps or Site Reliability Engineering concepts and implementations
- Experience supporting a 24x7 Internet-oriented production environment
- Excellence in technical communications with both technical and non-technical peers
- Experience with UNIX systems (Solaris, Illumos) represents an interest
- Experience in automation and getting things done right the first time (we use Rundeck, Ansible, Checkmk, bash/python scripts, etc.)
- Knowledge of client/server and distributed systems (private/public cloud such as RedHat Virtualization, Triton, AWS, etc.)
- Self-starter who is excited about learning new technologies on a daily basis
- Customer service experience / strong customer focus
What's great in the job?
- Great team of smart people, in a friendly and open culture
- We work as a start-up and encourage entrepreneurship: you've got an idea, let's work on it
- We use really cool tools from our custom ERP, to our monitoring systems and everything in-between
- Our services are unique and the market is noticing: we do not just follow the market, we try to create our own niches
- Real responsibilities and challenges in a fast evolving company
- We work respectfully, happily, calmly and with integrity with our colleagues, partners and customers.
What we offer
Our success depends on the effort of individual employees and at Spearhead you can see your impact immediately. You can make a real contribution to the success of the company.
Attractive salary package.
Meal Tickets, Medical Insurance, Office Events.
Opportunities to grow and learn top technologies.
Quiet Office Space
Quiet location, easily accessible via public transport.
Eat & Drink
Fruit, coffee and snacks provided.
We have the world best coffee!